Berry Bros. & Rudd Ltd. is committed to reducing its impact on the
The Company will select the most environmentally-friendly path forward
while maintaining high quality and commercial viability, and will aim to work
with suppliers and producers who themselves demonstrate a clear commitment to
pursue the same path.
Freight Import: fewer carbon emissions via
greater freight forward efficiencies
Freight Export: fewer carbon emissions by minimising the amount of
Warehouse & Distribution
- Greater energy efficiency: water, heating, electricity
- Packing materials: re-use, recycle & reduce
- Maximising the recycling of waste; minimising the amount going to
- Delivery vans efficiency: via fuel efficiency & fewer part loads
The smaller packs all used staples in the manufacturing process, these have
now been eliminated.
The larger packs have been replaced with Kite’s ‘enviro-box’
grade which gives 2 fold benefits:
- the board is lighter than the standard grade material (hence uses
- they take around 40% less space to transport – more per pallet
– which means that fewer pallet movements are required.
The 6 bottle pack currently uses a plastic handle. Proposed designs make use
of an all card box, eliminating the plastic and making the box 100%
Berrys' Bag for Life is made from Jute, a natural and biodegradable product
made under ethical conditions.
- Jute is
environmentally friendly and when discarded will totally decompose leaving only
- All the greenhouse gas emissions emitted during the production, manufacture
and distribution of Berrys' Bag for Life have been offset by investing in
sustainable energy and reforestation projects.
BB&R now use an environmentally-friendly hand wrap. This product has no
core, and hence when the roll is finished there is nothing left to dispose of.
Due to the manufacturing process the whole roll can be used instead of
traditional rolls where the last few meters of film are left on the core
– this again reduces the amount of waste.
Office & Personnel
- Provide environmental training
- Encourage the use of public transport
- Use recycled paper & stationery
- Reduce PC/electrical power load per desk
- Canteen & corporate kitchen: local, organic or British produce
- Reduce the amount of bottled water used internally & externally
- Challenge the need to fly; would video conferencing or a phone call
- Reduce the amount being mailed in favour of internet offers
- Reduce the amount of mailshot waste; increase the amount being
- Reduce the laminated offer in favour of the recycled or sustainable
- Communication to customers of BB&R’s environmentally-friendly
initiatives, such as the recycling & re-use of bottles, packaging material,
cartons & bags
- Communication to customers of BB&R suppliers’ environmental