Soave is a famously large, white wine DOC in
the Veneto and
is located to the north and east of the city of Verona. It gets its name
from the Suevians, a German tribe who arrived in Italy along with the Lombards
during the Dark Ages.
Its Garganega-based wines
leapt to prominence in 1968 with the creation of the Soave DOC, spurred on by a
massive co-operative industry. Soave Classico covers the original hillside
zones around the communes of Soave and Monteforte, while a new hillside
catch-all sub-zone, Colli Scaligeri, has also been created for those just
outside the Classico area.
With the award of DOCG status to Soave Superiore in 2006, the
authorities are making a concerted effort to raise the quality and profile of
all Soave wines.Trebbiano Toscana, which formerly made up 15% of the blend, is
now out, and the minimum alcohol level has been raised by 0.5%.
The minimum dry extract has been raised to 18 grams/litre, vine density has
been capped at 3,300 vines/ha and the vines themselves may only be trained
using the espalier, single pergola or single Veronese pergola
Soave is now made with 70% Garganega with the remaining 30% coming from
Trebbiano di Soave, Chardonnay or Pinot Bianco.
Soave Superiore must be at least 12% alcohol and cannot be released
onto the market until 1st September the year after the harvest. In
addition, the minimum level of dry extract has been raised to 20 grams/litre
and yields have been reduced to 70 hl/ha. At its best, Soave should exhibit
a lemony fruit character, good structure and a creamy, minerally, citrus
Recommended producers: Corte Sant’Alda