The Imperial distillery was established in same the year of the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria in 1897 and named as such in tribute of the royal house. The original malting kiln was aptly decorated with an giant replica of an imperial crown.The founder, Thomas MacKenzie, held stake also in Talisker and Dailuaine. The distillery was revamped in 1960, and doubled its production capacity in 1965. Imperial was silent in the 1980s but it changed hands in 1989 and is now operational under the management of Chivas Brothers. The production is intended for the blending industry, specially for Teachers, Ballantine's, with the occassional vintage exclusively available by independent bottlers. The house style is big, bold, full-bodied, rich in barley and sweet flavours, with a robust, well-intergated smokey note.