0800 280 2440
Ch. La Dauphine is one of the largest estates in Fronsac, and their wines are forward, approachable and well-priced. The château was built between 1744 and 1750 by Jean-Baptiste de Richon, lawyer to the Paris parliament in the Duchy of Fronsac. Princess Maria-Josepha of Saxony, the Dauphine of France, wife of Louis, Dauphin of France and mother of the last kings of France including Louis XVI, spent several days at the château soon after it was built. Her visit contributed to the development of the property’s reputation. In 1985 François-Régis Marcetteau de Brem, the last descendant of the Olivier family, sold La Dauphine to the Moueix family of Libourne (Pétrus, Châteaux Trotanoy and Magdeleine). Jean Halley acquired the Château from the Moueix family in 2000. The southerly exposed vineyard in Fronsac, 40 hectares total, takes the form of an amphitheatre, with a 60 metre height difference separating the highest and lowest parcels. The vinification, overseen by Michel Rolland, takes place in concrete vats and stainless steel tanks. The wines mature in separate batches in oak for 12 months (1/3 of new barrels). The typical blend is 90% Merlot 10% Cabernet Franc.