0800 280 2440
The history of the Banff distillery is marked by a series of disasters and relentless reconstructions. The distillery lies just a mile outside the town Banff (north-Speyside) by the seaside. James Mc Killigan.was the founder in 1824 giving it the name Mill of Banff. Closed in 1863, it was rebuild on another site in Inverboyndie, only to be devastated by fire in 1877. Disaster stuck again in 1941, when a bomb from a lone German bomber set fire on one of the warehouses, causing barrels of whisky to leak out into the local fields, rivers and canals. Several ducks were reported to have died from alcohol poisoning. Supposedly the local cows could not be milked for days afterwards, as they were unable to stand up, and a fireman who saved some whisky in his helmet during the rescue operation was taken to court for petty pilfering. In 1953, an explosion in the still room damaged the distillery once again. Banff was permanently closed down in 1983 by DCL during the whisky recession, leaving a substantial amount of stock that eventually found it way in the hands of various independent bottlers. The buildings were gradually dismantled and the last part was destroyed by fire in 1991. The style of the single malt is refreshing, fragrant, with lemon grass, minty and grassy overtones.