About this WINE
Leonildo ("Nino") and Teresita Pieropan craft without doubt the finest Soaves from this DOC with a depth of fruit and structure that other producers can only dream of. The town of Soave still has a serene and almost timeless quality to it and the Pieropan winery is still situated in the heart of the old town. Nino pioneered the notion of single vineyard Soaves and the use of small French barriques for fermentation and maturation.
Garganega and Trebbiano grapes are grown on soils rich in clay and tuffeau - only organic sprays are used in the vineyards and yields are kept very low. The wines are bottled with only a light filtration. His Soaves are Garganega-dominated blends that display seductive, floral aromas and characteristics of baked apples and marzipan, accompanied by tremendous length on the palate. They can improve for up to 5 years.
Soave is a famously large, white wine DOC in the Veneto and is located to the north and east of the city of Verona. It gets its name from the Suevians, a German tribe who arrived in Italy along with the Lombards during the Dark Ages.
Its Garganega-based wines leapt to prominence in 1968 with the creation of the Soave DOC, spurred on by a massive co-operative industry. Soave Classico covers the original hillside zones around the communes of Soave and Monteforte, while a new hillside catch-all sub-zone, Colli Scaligeri, has also been created for those just outside the Classico area.
With the award of DOCG status to Soave Superiore in 2006, the authorities are making a concerted effort to raise the quality and profile of all Soave wines.Trebbiano Toscana, which formerly made up 15% of the blend, is now out, and the minimum alcohol level has been raised by 0.5%.
The minimum dry extract has been raised to 18 grams/litre, vine density has been capped at 3,300 vines/ha and the vines themselves may only be trained using the espalier, single pergola or single Veronese pergola methods.
Soave is now made with 70% Garganega with the remaining 30% coming from Trebbiano di Soave, Chardonnay or Pinot Bianco.
Soave Superiore must be at least 12% alcohol and cannot be released onto the market until 1st September the year after the harvest. In addition, the minimum level of dry extract has been raised to 20 grams/litre and yields have been reduced to 70 hl/ha. At its best, Soave should exhibit a lemony fruit character, good structure and a creamy, minerally, citrus finish.
Recommended producers: Corte Sant’Alda
The 5th most widely planted white grape in Italy and the main grape used in the production of Soave. It is an abundantly vigorous grape and yields must be kept low for its discreet aromatic qualities to show in the wine.
Garganega reaches its peak in the Soave Classico zone where it constitutes 70-100% of the blend. The best wines are fresh, delicate, well balanced and can be redolent of almonds and citrus fruits. Garganega is also a key component in Bianco di Custoza and Colli Euganei.