Mastroberardino, long Campania’s most renowned winery, located in the town of Atripalda, on Italy’s West coast, is the family based firm that is universally acknowledged to have been the most important guardian of the vinous heritage of Campania. The winery has always been focused on honing the virtues of Campania’s traditional grape varieties, such as Aglianico, Fiano, Piedirosso, Greco, Falanghina and Coda di Volpe. Among other things, the winery has paid close attention to planting varieties on appropriate soils, to using the right type of vine training and trellising, and to adopting winemaking methods that maximized the grapes’ varietal character rather than techniques that buried it under oak and fruitiness.
Mastroberardino was established in the 1750s by famed winemaker Pietro di Mastro Berardino. He took the professional title of Mastro (‘Maestro’) beginning the future succession of 10 generations of Mastroberardino family winemakers. Mastroberardino was officially registered in 1878 by Cavalier Angiolo Mastroberardino, great-grand father of the winery’s current President, Piero Mastroberardino.
The Mastroberardino family have always searched out and resuscitated native grapevines that history, early 20-th century phylloxera and World War II had diminished. More, most farmers who returned to their land, after devastation, ripped out their local vines in favour of high-yielding varieties like Sangiovese or Merlot to sell for bulk wine. Antonio Mastroberardino, Piero’s father, remained committed to the local grape, however and his gradual success from the 1950s on convinced some to stick with indigenous vines.
Still, until the early 1990s Mastroberardino was the only winery, in Irpinia, growing indigenous vines to produce quality wine. Not only Aglianico for the reds like Taurasi, but also Fiano, Greco and Falanghina, grapes, traceable to the colonizing Greeks.