2016 Barolo, Fratelli Alessandria, Piedmont, Italy

2016 Barolo, Fratelli Alessandria, Piedmont, Italy

Product: 20161201134
Prices start from £198.00 per case Buying options
Place a bid
2016 Barolo, Fratelli Alessandria, Piedmont, Italy

Description

Most of this blend (90%) comes from five vineyards in Verduno, which were co-fermented to provide harmony. The remaining 10% comes from the now not-so-young, 18-year-old vines in Gramolere, Monforte (which as of the 2017 vintage are included in the single-vineyard cuvée). The result is an enticing wine full of the gentle warmth and raspberry-scented charm of Verduno, but with a subtle, dark-fruited, structural dimension of Monforte. It’s very pretty with sour cherries, plenty of pulp and gentle, sandy tannins. Drink 2022-2038.
Read more

wine at a glance

Delivery and quality guarantee

Buying options

Available by the case In Bond. Pricing excludes duty and VAT, which must be paid separately before delivery. Find out more.
You can place a bid for this wine on BBX
Place a bid
Case format
Availability
Price per case
6 x 75cl bottle
Berry Bros. & Rudd BB&R 11 cases £198.00
En Primeur Limited availability
En Primeur Limited availability

About this WINE

Fratelli Alessandria, Piedmont

Fratelli Alessandria, Piedmont

Crowning the small hilltop village of Verduno in Barolo, the 12-hectare Fratelli Alessandria estate has been producing wine since the 19th century. There is a long history of quality at this address, with the wines recognised by King Carlo Alberto in 1843 – continued today by current proprietors, fifth-generation Vittore and his uncle Alessandro.

Since Vittore returned to the estate in 2001, there have been significant changes, with increased attention to detail in both the vineyard and winery. Winemaking is a combination of modern and traditional, with stainless steel tanks, temperature control and French oak tonneaux complemented by long (15 to 20-day) wild-yeast fermentations and ageing in large (30-hectolitre) botti.

Verduno’s location – close to the sandy Roero region, with some chalk in the soil and with the Tanaro river running below – gives the village’s wines a trademark softness and perfumed charm; an authentic expression that the Alessandria family is keen to emphasise in its wines.

Find out more
Nebbiolo

Nebbiolo

Nebbiolo is the grape behind the Barolo and Barbaresco wines and is hardly ever seen outside the confines of Piedmont. It takes its name from "nebbia" which is Italian for fog, a frequent phenomenon in the region.

A notoriously pernickety grape, it requires sheltered south-facing sites and performs best on the well-drained calcareous marls to the north and south of Alba in the DOCG zones of Barbaresco and Barolo.

Langhe Nebbiolo is effectively the ‘second wine’ of Piedmont’s great Barolo & Barbarescos. This DOC is the only way Langhe producers can declassify their Barolo or Barbaresco fruit or wines to make an early-drinking style. Unlike Nebbiolo d’Alba, Langhe Nebbiolo can be cut with 15% other red indigenous varieties, such as Barbera or Dolcetto.

Nebbiolo flowers early and ripens late, so a long hang time, producing high levels of sugar, acidity and tannins; the challenge being to harvest the fruit with these three elements ripe and in balance. The best Barolos and Barbarescos are perfumed with aromas of tar, rose, mint, chocolate, liquorice and truffles. They age brilliantly and the very best need ten years to show at their best.

Find out more

Reviews

Customer reviews