Spottswoode is a historic, family-owned Napa vineyard and winery renowned for its exceptional Cabernet Sauvignon. Established in 1882 by George Schonewald, the estate is distinguished by the pre-Prohibition Victorian building depicted on the wine label. Spottswoode was named by Mrs. Albert Spotts in 1910, and it was acquired by Mary and Jack Novak in 1972. Mary released Spottswoode’s first Cabernet Sauvignon in 1982, exactly one hundred years after the estate was founded.
Situated on the western edge of St. Helena at the foot of the Mayacamas Mountains, the Spottswoode terroir is ideal for growing fine wine grape varieties. The forty acres are given primarily to Cabernet Sauvignon, with small blocks of Cabernet Franc, Petit Verdot, and Sauvignon Blanc. The estate has been farmed organically since 1985, and the vineyard was certified organic in 1992.
Today, Mary’s daughters are at the helm: Beth Novak Milliken manages the winery, and Lindy Novak oversees national marketing.