Talisker is one of the most remote distilleries, lodged far from any neighbour in the small coastal community of Carbost at the head of Loch Harport. It was in 1825 that Hugh and Kenneth MacAskill came here from the smaller island of Eigg, first to bring sheep to Skye, leasing Macleod land at Carbost. They built Talisker Distillery in 1830 against the fiery protestations of the former parish Minister, the Rev. Roderick Macleod, who declared this "one of the greatest curses that... could befall it or any other place”. Disaster struck the distillery in November 1960, which was then still coal-fired, when fire burned down the still-room. The distillery was rebuilt fastidiously around exact copies of the old stills. Today, Talisker is one of the single malts in Diageo’s portfolio since 1988. A great deal is marketed as single malt, but Talisker is a part of the Johnnie Walker and White Horse blends too.