Located in Morey-St Denis, Clos de Tart is the largest of Burgundy’s five Grand Cru monopole vineyards. The vineyard dates to at least 1141 and has had just four owners in that time. Today, it is part of François Pinault’s Artémis Domaines, alongside Ch. Latour, Domaine d’Eugénie and more.
The largest of Burgundy’s five Grand Cru monopole vineyards, Clos de Tart occupies some of the greatest terroir in Morey-St Denis. The vineyard dates to at least 1141, when it was purchased by the Cistercian nuns of Notre Dame de Tart. There have been just four owners in that time, and today it is part of François Pinault’s Artémis Domaines, alongside Ch. Latour, Domaine d’Eugénie, Eisele Vineyard and more.
The 7.52-hectare clos is situated at the south end of Morey-St Denis, bordering Bonnes Mares to the south and Clos des Lambrays in the north. The vineyard has been divided into 13 plots.
The cellars have seen considerable renovation in recent years, with a new vat room inaugurated in time for the 2019 vintage. Director and winemaker Alessandro Noli now works with 15 wooden vats of varying sizes (20 hectolitres to 40 hectolitres) to enable plot-by-plot vinification
Clos de Tart has since 2015 been farmed organically, with organic certification as of the ’18 vintage. Biodynamic practices were adopted in ’16, with certification from the ’19 vintage. The estate maintains a vine nursery in Morey-St Denis.