About this SPIRIT
Teaninich Distillery, Highlands
Teaninich (pronounced Te-an-in-ick) is located north of Inverness, in the village of Alness. This lesser known neighbour of the more famous Dalmore and Glenmorangie distilleries started its life as an illicit distillery in 1817, run by captain Hugh Munro and ever since it has been in production almost continuously it only stopped for WWII and a short period during in the 1980s.
The Teaninich distillery changed hands in 1904 when Robert Innes Cameron became its new proprietor. He also owned substantial interests in several Highland distilleries, including Benrinnes, Linkwood and Tamdhu, and later became chairman of the Malt Distillers Association. In 1934 it was acquired by the D.C.L. (Distillers Company Ltd.). Teaninich whisky has known such a demand that the distillery expanded in 1962 and in 1974.
Teaninich malt is highly regarded by blenders and it remains a key component of Johnnie Walker. It is also one of the ingredients of the Drambuie liqueur. The single malt style is soft, smoky with floral nuances.